Tuesday, November 11, 2008

That you may have peace

I don't really expect anyone to ever read this blog. It's really more of a way to express my own thoughts and meditations about what I learn in God's Word... a way to filter out all the competing thoughts inside my head in order that I might create in myself a peaceful heart.
You may be wondering just why I keep talking about a peaceful heart. Well, it all goes back to one of my favorite verses:
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have
peace. In this world you may have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome
the world." -John 16:33

In order to completely understand this verse, you must look at what "these things" are. Just before this verse, Jesus was encouraging His disciples to not grieve over His death, but instead turn the grief into joy because of the purpose of His death. This verse wraps up his encouragement by saying that, if they trust in Him, they will have peace. Although they will battle the religious Pharisees and the doubters, the disciples can rest assured in the peace and assurance that Christ has overcome the world.
Which brings me to my point... with confident trust in Christ and complete, genuine love for the Sovereign God, we can have peace. Peace knowing that He will never leave us, peace trusting that He knows what is best for us, peace remembering that He has never failed us. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment