Saturday, January 3, 2015

For the New Year


"He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain & pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest."
-Lina Sandell

 While I've been quiet on the blog, words have been ringing loudly in my heart. As we move into the new year and reflect on the year past, I can't help but add this reflection to the blog that held me together so dearly for the last few years. 2014 was a year of soaking-- the kind of soaking that leaves you lying still and listening for any sort of direction-- and after soaking for so long, I'm full and ready to burst with so much grace, hope, and promise for the future. I've learned what it means to be brave, truly brave, in my interactions and friendships and learning how to say yes and no. I've soaked in so many experiences and relationships in the past year, listening and receiving, resting in the experiences rather than finding the itch to always react. I haven't reacted to much; I've just absorbed. New friendships, new administration, flights to & from Uganda, hearts in Mexico, eating well, broken engines, knitted hearts... it's all absorbed.

And now I'm ready.

I'm ready to live in 2015 the things that I've soaked up in 2014. I've learned that His heart is kind beyond all measure, no matter how long He waits to provide genuine friendships and answers to prayer. I've learned that He mingles peace and rest into everyday moments of pain and toil... even on days when I work nearly 24 hours to "get it all done." I've learned that rich generosity can well up out of trial and poverty, and it fuels me to give beyond what I ever thought I could before. I've learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I can truly do all things-- the bravest, most difficult, most genuine, most servant-hearted things-- through Him who gives me strength. He makes me brave.


2014, I'm glad you're over... but my heart is full and ready to spill over. On to the next year with a heart open to change, to bravery, to giving grace, to healing hearts. I'm so ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment