Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Me, and Enemy of the Cross?

"For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." -Philippians 3:17-21

Here is a character sketch of an enemy of the cross:
-Satisfy their own desires before even thinking about the needs of others
-Self-indulgent
-Live to appease their appetites
-Believe so strongly in their greatness that they become slaves to pride
-So concerned with earthly trivia that their minds wander during worship
-So consumed with work that worship is inconvenient
-So busy planning that they spend no time in prayer
-Work for earthly treasures
-Make time for heavenly things around the set-in-stone earthly things


I don't know about you, but a lot of those pinpointedly describe me. If I have a paper due in a few hours, the first thing I neglect is my quiet time. During my prayer time, my thoughts begin taking over and I end up dreaming about my summer plans or my future endeavors. Hunger for lunch overtakes my attention during church. My efforts to make good grades in my classes take up much more of my energy than my efforts to tell others about Christ. There's something wrong with this picture.

When we become a follower of Christ, we are transformed. We are new creations, eagerly awaiting the day our Savior will come. As for the enemies of the cross, they are worried about next week's project that's due and when they're going to have dinner. Now, these things aren't wrong- and we should still be good stewards of the things we're responsible for- but are they our focus?? I do not want to be associated with enemies of the cross. I want to be nothing like them. And yet, I possess so many of those qualities!

Recognize that our citizenship is in Heaven, not on earth. Be transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment