Friday, October 30, 2009

Busy Bee!

Well, I have had nothing terribly interesting in my life lately that has caused me to feel the need to blog about it- it happens when you're knee deep in studying & to-do lists. Since when did I become such a busybody?

On that note, I'd like to complain a little about something... that is, the business of life. And when I say business, I really mean busy-ness. Is busyness a word?
Anyway, why must any good intention or idea involve a meeting of some sort? I feel like my life is full of appointments- class, work, and meetings. I have such a rigid schedule that doesn't allow for a whole lot of flexibility... will you allow me to reflect on the days in Bali for a moment? Village life is s-l-o-w. You do enough to get by- farm, visit family & friends, wash clothes, and attend an occassional ceremony. Oh, and drink coffee. And unless your name was Sukarta, life was pretty easygoing! And as much as that type of atmosphere drove me crazy sometimes, I truly loved the opportunity to slow down and ponder how the Lord was at work.

I learned so much in those sweet moments with the Lord every day! Yet somehow, in the transition back to the fast pace of this country I had been so used to, I began to forget and lose sight of the work of God. In the back of my mind, I always know He's working, but it's easy to lose focus when every professor and friend and book and responsibility is demanding attention as well! How can I ever learn to be still in a society that looks down upon it? Something to ponder. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I agree. One of my teachers asked the question a few weeks ago, "In commercialized countries and cities, churches and "God" are very rapidly declining. Why do you think this is?" Being a christian, I thought I should know... I guessed because there was more open sins- bars, strip places that sort of thing. But his answer was- "Because "God" is something people have time for when they have nothing else to do. And in large, fast paced cities- no one has time for "it"." This made me incredibly sad because I finally realized how right he was- and how wrong that was all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Devin, that's so true! Good point. That definitely is so sad- God has pretty much been put on the back burner until life slows down for many of us. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete