Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Do you like Green Eggs and Ham?

In light of the fact that my day of birth is to be celebrated today, I can't help but reflect on the past two decades of knowledge and wisdom that has been crammed into my tiny little brain. I have learned much in 20 years (wow, that sounds so old!), so I will just list the few things I have learned in the past few weeks. Here we are:

1- Never underestimate the value of a voice or the power of a cough drop.
2- Teachers are like ducks- calm on the outside, but pedaling at breakneck speed under the surface. I have a much greater respect for them now that I'm *trying* to become one.
3- People really do listen. So when you speak, speak with words that are "seasoned with salt" and very intentional.
4- Don't say "yes ma'am" at the checkout counter unless you know it's a ma'am.
5- Living Hope apparently has a basement?
6- Our hearts are deceitful and desperately wicked... but grace is so much greater than all our sins
7- God is... very BIG.
8- I do not always have the right words to say when people are in a crisis. In fact, I almost never have the right words to say. The extent of the comfort I provide is simply holding the phone or holding the hand and giving them a smile... and hoping they get something out of it. I do wish a smile could make anything better!
9- I am an awkward hugger, but I love hugs

And while you're at it, say a little "Happy Birthday" to my pal Dr. Seuss... we're birthday buddies :)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sweetie! I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I received the call you had made your debut into this world! It seems like yesterday. I hope your day is EXTRA special and that you have a year that's full of blessings and fun surprises (many times they are one and the same).

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, love it! words of wisdom right there! (...Living Hope really has a basement???) lol!
    happy birthday dear, and here's to many more! :D
    p.s. your smiles and hugs ALWAYS make my day better! so no worries there! :D

    ReplyDelete