Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My heart grows faint

I have found that in a time of invading distractions, numerous assignments, and modern technology, it is going to be a constant, daily struggle to be committed to pursuing Christ. The battle every morning at 6 a.m. is the battle of attention: will I space out and get online or will I have concentrated Bible-reading time? Will I take a quick nap or will I have quality prayer time? Will I have lunch with friends or will I invest in someone who needs love?
It's constant, and it's often draining.
In my head, I know that I should look to God for my source of strength and motivation to do these things... but my heart so often tends towards the comfortable and easy. Oswald Chambers describes spiritual perseverance as "a call not to hang on and do nothing, but to work deliberately, knowing with certainty that God will never be defeated."
Just because we don't feel like reading our Bibles or pursuing God doesn't mean we should stop. He will reward us for our perseverance, even when it's hard. I am adopting Psalm 61:1-2 as my new cry to the Lord:
"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Active pursuit, even as your heart grows faint!

No comments:

Post a Comment