Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Treasures Store for Christ

What must followers of Christ give to their Maker? Everything. I don't think I fully comprehend what it means to give up everything for His sake, but I'm learning. God wants to be the driving force behind every possession, event, relationship, word, action, and plan. We fail to see His divine purpose for us when we cling too tightly to what we feel we deserve or are entitled to- and I think that our view of "sacrifice" is skewed to the point where it's difficult for us to truly sacrifice, even if we try!

Abraham sacrificed Isaac, his only son, simply because God told him to. Abraham loved Isaac dearly; perhaps he loved Isaac more than anything else in the world.
Ruth sacrificed the option of going back to her home country- where promise of marriage, family, and prosperity await- in order to stay faithful to Naomi.
Daniel sacrificed his life and security (though only for a time) in order to spend time in prayer with the Lord.
Paul put himself into dangerous situations everyday- imprisoned and tortured, even- in order that others may know the truth of the Gospel.
"And shouldst Thou ask me to resign what most I prize- it ne'er was mine, I only give Thee what is Thine- Thy will be done." -The Little Flock Hymnal

Sacrifice and love for God is much more costly than we crack it up to be- and I feel that we've lost touch with the great cost of following Christ. I don't take it with enough seriousness; I often give some of my money and time to good things in hopes that it will please the Lord enough to keep receiving His love. What does it mean to "pour at His feet the treasures store" of earthly things, which abound all around me? What does the Lord require of me?

Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days, let them flow in endless praise.
Take my hands and let the move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King!
Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasures store.
Take myself and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

Take My Life and Let it Be, by Frances Havergal

No comments:

Post a Comment