Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Am I really going to Africa?

"Thank you for your patience"- ironic words, after hearing them for the 89th time in 20 minutes. I'll admit, if I hear them for the 90th time then I may throw my phone against the wall and give up. The quest to establish a rescheduled flight to Africa has been going on since the day we scheduled a flight in January, and for some reason it has been the most difficult experience of my life. I've talked with more than my fair share of customer service representatives, been given multiple empty promises of callbacks, and hung up with defeat at least ten times. I am tired of trying to get to Africa.

My nerves have been on edge since that day, back in January, when I called to find out just what was going on with our schedule changes. And I think the straw finally just about broke the camel's back this morning when, for what seemed like the millionth time, the courteous customer service representative said "we will call you back in the next 1-2 days." I melted. Although my insides were screaming for my tongue to lash out at the poor guy, I held it all together and warned that they need to call back by tomorrow. Friends, we just want our schedule, and we just want to be able to get our visa so that we can just get to Africa! Obviously the Lord is trying to teach me something... maybe peace and patience?

You'd think I would have learned the first time. 2 years ago, I sat on the edge of my seat, chomping at the bit to get my visa in order to jet out to Indonesia... and 2 days before leaving, it arrived. 2 days! I remember calling the Indonesian Embassy a crazy amount of times in a 24-hour period, begging them to get moving on the process. Sound familiar?
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You." -Isaiah 26:3

Although I can't seem to make myself calm down, chill out, and have patience, I've got to learn. I want to trust in the Lord, who will send us to Africa if that's what He wants. He provides for all of our needs, and He can provide a flight for us. All I can think to do is pray a rebellious prayer, hoping that He will teach me to bend my rusty knees in submission and complete trust. Lord, make my mind steadfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment