Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 16: Someone who fascinates me

One of the people who fascinates me is the crazy Black Friday shopper who used pepper spray on everyone around her in order to snag the biggest electronic bargain on Thanksgiving night. Or, if that doesn't strike your fancy, I'm also fascinated by the person who apparantly stabbed a competing shopper while running for the cheap bedsheets at a local Walmart. Something seems entirely paradoxical about running greedily through a supermarket on a holiday that thrives upon thankfulness. I don't intend for this to become a cynical rant about the ways that society is going down the drain, because we all know that. I have participated in Black Friday for years, but decided to sit this one out because I'm most definitely not a night owl and don't need anything badly enough to stay up past my bedtime and wait in lines. However, I think it's important to note how strange it seems that Christmas Day has strung itself into months of shopping, wanting, and obsessing over things that won't come to Heaven with us. I'm all about giving & receiving a gift or two, but when we blackout on Black Friday and spend our budget in cheap stuff, I think it's time to reconsider the Reason why we give and receive in the first place.

That's my rant, and now I'm finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment