Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 3: If I had a million dollars, how would I spend it?

I actually thought about this when my crazy fiance decided that he actually had a chance at winning the McDonald's Monopoly game... ha :)

Being a college student, even the idea of suddenly acquiring $500 seems miraculous, so the thought of possessing 1 million dollars is a bit overwhelming. I'll admit, the first things that come to mind when I think about having that much money are the expensive and super cute articles of clothing that I've seen on various websites and in cute mall boutiques, and I think about all the trips I could go on without having to scratch for every itty bitty penny I own in order to buy a plane ticket, and I think about going to visit my sweet little Guatemalan sponsored girl one day. What happy thoughts!

Those are definitely the first things that jump out in my mind, but there are so many ideas that swim around in my head when I think about having that much money. Since foreign missions became important to me, I've had this idea in my head of opening a school/center in the middle of nowhere in a faraway place where "forgotten" women and children could come to be loved on and learn something. Ultimately, that is what drives me to learn more in my education classes, regardless of how many mountains of "busy work" they give us every week. I got excited about reading Three Cups of Tea because I thought that it would give me more desire and excitement to actually do something like this someday, but I was ultimately disappointed because the guy was glorified for his work, not Christ.

I would love love love to have a million dollars to start a center or school like that, but when will that ever happen, right? Like I said yesterday, I have so many plans but it is the Lord who determines my steps. Whether I am teaching a group of Afghan women how to sew or teaching a bunch of rambunctious kiddos in an American public school, I know that the Lord will lead me to exactly where He wants me in order to glorify Him the most.

...but I would probably still use some of that million dollars to buy that $100 dress I've been drooling over.

No comments:

Post a Comment