Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4: A favorite book I could read over and over again

Have you ever had a moment where you felt like you couldn't breathe because of all the pressures and emotions and circumstances of life that weigh you down, making things seem, for just a moment, pretty hopeless? No matter what age or degree of intensity it is, we've all been there. Many times, probably.

Over the Christmas break of my senior year of high school, I read Jane Eyre in 2 days and cried my eyes out. A few weeks ago, I watched the recently released movie that correlates with the book, but the movie just doesn't catch and communicate all the emotions that Jane experiences throughout her life- and I didn't have my heart ripped out and put back together by the end of the movie, like I did when reading the book. Case #7789 that proves books are usually better than the movie versions, right?

My breaking point came at the middle of the book, as Jane/Charlotte Bronte addresses the reader:
"Gentle reader, may you never feel what I then felt! May your eyes never shed such stormy, scalding, heart-wrung tears as poured out from mine! May you never appeal to Heaven in prayers so hopeless and so agonized as in that hour left my lips; for never may you, like me, dread to be the instrument of evil to what you wholly love!"

Jane is a fictional character, but Bronte has that way of making you feel the pain that Jane felt as she literally stood at a crossroad, seemingly hopeless and unsure of what was ahead. But the great news is that her story gets better- and you have to read that monstrously huge book in order to find out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment