Sunday, December 28, 2008

Unfathomable Love, Reckless Abandon

God's love is unfathomable. The other night, while watching a thunderstorm roll in from the bottom patio of my house, after just having my quiet time with the Lord, I came to this sharp realization. That night was a rare and strange one for Louisville, for that December night it was nearly 70 degrees and a "boom boom" was rolling in. The wind was whipping everywhere, and as I stood staring out into my 5-acre backyard, I raised my hands up in worship to God. In the midst of the wind, I could almost feel my Heavenly Father wrapping His big arms around me, loving me with His unfathomable Love.

I still can't begin to describe what I felt that night. I had absolutely nothing to worry about, for my mind was at peace about my past, my present, and my future. I felt completely content. But as I had my morning quiet time with God, I realized that the peace I felt isn't enough for a fruitful Christan life. Yes, God wants us to have peace, but He also wants us to have troubles.

Wait, what? This caught me a little off guard. God wants us to have troubles? This little idea (or maybe not so little) came from 2 Corinthians 12:9-

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in
weakness."

Paul has a "thorn in the flesh," or some type of disease that was affecting his ministry. He prayed 3 times for God to take it away, but God didn't. Paul came to realize that God had set this thorn inside him in order to magnify His power and glory!

Think about it. Christians are not supposed to be pampered and lazy. No, instead we are to chase after our Lover with reckless abandon, embracing our weaknesses and praising God for getting us through hard times. God's Love is so unfathomable that it is difficult for us to truly embrace this concept. It's very humbling to know that we must boast in our weaknesses in order that God will be magnified. We must become less, and He must become more.

But in light of all this, it makes sense, right? He loves us deeper than we can ever imagine. He is the only One in my life that cares deeply enough and genuinely enough about me to be with me every single second of the day, to listen to everything I say, and to send His perfect, comfortable Son to the cruel, sinful earth to save my soul. Wow. His Love is unfathomable. I don't understand why He does it. But because of that Love, I am going to serve Him with reckless abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment