Thursday, January 7, 2010

Heaven

You know what I've decided? I can't wait for Heaven.

I thought a lot about eternity this weekend. I spent 4 days at a conference for college students in Atlanta, and the atmosphere could make anyone contagious with Jesus-fever, if that even exists. And when I say a conference for college students, I really mean a gathering of over 20,000 18-25 year olds who are becoming passionate about Jesus Christ. Thus the name Passion. Often, I would stop in the middle of worship (led by some AWESOME Christian artists… mmmmm, Hillsong and Christy Nockels) to just look around. In these precious moments, I found one of the most beautiful things- so many students gathered together praising the One who paid it all. Arms stretched towards the ceiling, hearts bursting from chests, and smiles a mile wide were everywhere. In those moments, I truly felt like I was experiencing a bit of Heaven.

What's it going to be like in Heaven? We have the Bible to tell us, but often I wonder beyond that. It gives me chill bumps to think that all the believers that ever walked the face of the Earth will be praising God at the same time. I could hardly handle watching 20,000 worship at one time- what's it going to be like when we're worshipping alongside all believers?! Such a mind-boggling feeling.

But think again. When we get to Heaven, we will be so fascinated and left speechless by the glory & presence of God! Will I even notice those to my right & to my left? Will I even care to take my eyes off of the Lord for one moment in order to watch others around me in complete worship to God? I'm thinking that when I'm face-to-face with the Lord, I'm not going to want to move my gaze from the middle of His glory.

Today I had the daunting task of comforting a precious 13-year-old girl over the loss of her father. There were no words that I could say that felt like they would even be effective, so I kept silent and just hugged her… over and over again. Death is real. My heart twists in pain when I think about her, and how it will be like for her to experience the death of another father. It makes me even more determined to take advantage of every opportunity to share the Gospel, because we can die any second! And in that second, our eternity is decided.

And as for me, I'd rather be spending eternity alongside my brothers & sisters in Christ, although not really recognizing their presence, gazing into the glory of my King Jesus. I can't wait for Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment