Friday, February 12, 2010

Imagination & Awakening

Sometimes God knows exactly what we need to hear at the exact time we need to hear it. It probably has something to do with the fact that He created us, knows our innermost thoughts, and desires to have an intimate relationship with us... but nevertheless, I was blown off my feet today by His perfect timing!
I was distracted this morning during my date with Jesus, to say the least. My thoughts were everywhere but on the Scripture I was supposed to be reading. Finally, a few minutes after skimming the page and not remembering one sentence I had just read, I audibly cried out to God, "Lord, give me FOCUS. I want to dwell on You and You alone right now, but it is so hard."
Do you want to know the first sentence I read after my outburst? It was from My Utmost for His Highest:
"The real test of spiritual focus is being able to bring your thoughts and
imagination under control."

...
...
...

Thank you for that awakening slap in the face, God.

To read more of this particular devotion, go here. Read it. I was so convicted by so much of what it said, while also feeling so encouraged. I don't want my ability to see God to be blinded, rather I want to "deliberately turn [my] thoughts and eyes to God."
Chambers says that, if we lose our ability to visualize Him as a powerful and wonderful God, then of course we will not see any point in prayer. Isaiah 40:26 commands us to "lift your eyes and look to the heavens." Are you lifting your eyes to the heavens, deliberately seeking to dwell your thoughts & eyes to God instead of earthly things?

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
-Jeremiah 29:13

No comments:

Post a Comment