Saturday, October 12, 2013

Worship (Days 10, 11, & 12): Fear

So, it's Fall Break: I've crossed state lines and visited people I've been missing, and getting online to post on Worship these last few days has been far from my mind. But I hope to stay consistent from now until Day 31!

 If you're reading my 31-day series on Worship for the first time, consider clicking over here to my Day 1 post to see the introduction and to find the rest of the posts in the series!


What makes you bone-shaking, teeth-rattling fearful?

My immediate memories of Fear are attached to moments like the first 15 seconds of ziplining over the Amazon jungle (yikes) or teaching my first solo day of student teaching. There was a lot of sweating and worrying and near-crying that went on those days.

The tangible fears-- those of creepy crawlies and standing on the ledge of a roof and hearing someone say the word that starts with "c" and ends in "lumpy"-- those are often the things we answer with when someone asks what we are most afraid of. But what about the intangible, misty, don't-discover-it-til-you're-23 kind of fears? We're talking intangible things like commitment, failure, losing control, or being forever alone. The kind of fears that nobody likes to talk about because the fears are intimately a part of themselves; a portion of themselves that just can't be given up.

What makes you fearful?

And how can your fears lead you to worship?

"The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1

In the deepest, darkest moments of fear, worship God for bringing light to that darkness. Worship Him for being the stronghold, light, and salvation that is cast upon every fear that has ever crept into the crevices of your mind. And, above all, worship Him for being consistently stronger than anything we could ever have to fear.

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not fear; I will help you.'" -Isaiah 41:13

But what about the fears that just won't go away? Worship Him knowing that He will never go away. He holds your hand. He helps you. Yes, even when you stand frozen and trembling and do not trust the strength of His hand-- even still, He will hold your hand. So worship Him for the strength of His caring, tender hand.

As I'm learning these things, I'm finding that worship isn't so complicated after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment