Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Worship (Day 9): Gratitude

 If you're reading my 31-day series on Worship for the first time, consider clicking over here to my Day 1 post to see the introduction and to find the rest of the posts in the series!

 

When it seems as though you just can't find time to remember to worship, reach in your pocket. Worship is there, hidden under the dry erase marker and paper clips. (Oh wait, you don't have those in your pocket? I'm the only one? Teacher life.) It's always been there.

We've already seen that worship can be simplified to the littlest things that we are doing already: He can be glorified in the longings and desires, the compliments, and the days when nothing seems to go right. And today, when things do seem to go right and my needs are met, I can worship through gratitude.

When I grumble and complain, God gets no glory.

When I hope for greater things and dwell on wishes for the next season, His plan is not treasured.

My expressed gratitude today over the big things-- a home and husband, an exciting job, a car to drive around-- can bring Him glory in the best way, because who is the Giver of such beautiful gifts? Our Provider, King Jesus, Gracious Father God.


But consider this: Gracious Father God gives us the big things to be grateful for, but He also provides those small moments in the whispers of our day. He gives an extra spurt of energy while on a long run, a hot cup of tea on a cold morning, a sunrise each morning, and a beautiful sunset each night. And when we give gratitude to Him for the smallest, nearly-overlooked portions of our day, He is most certainly glorified!

Perhaps my thankfulness can bring Him glory? Perhaps my gratitude is... worship?

"Holy joy lies in the habit of murmuring thanks to God for the smallest of graces." -Ann Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment